[Opensim-dev] The internet that never happened (still happy birthday to poor Tim)

Toni Alatalo antont at kyperjokki.fi
Fri Mar 13 23:54:08 UTC 2009

Hilarious post, thanks :)
I have to comment a bit and I'm afraid in a much more boring way..,

Dirk Krause kirjoitti:
> What I didn't know is that he did it with an application that was viewer and editor at the same time. Which was a splendid idea!

I also found that peculiar when learned about it in the late '90s .. was
working at a uni then and had a NeXT Cube there, even got it connected
to the Internet, and found Berners-Lee's WorldWideWeb.app from
somewhere, but unfortunately for a still unknown reason got bus error
always when tried to run the browser/editor .. so haven't gotten to use
it yet.

When wikis took off (more than 10 years ago that already too?) it kind
of seemed like a re-invention of the in-browser editing, and there is no
shortage of all kinds of javascript-written even wysiwyg editors
nowadays. So perhaps the jury is still out on this one..? But certainly
it is more a special case and, heh, indeed funny to think how weird it
would if it was the only option (how would you implement e.g. amazon.com
using the integrated creation tools of the browser only? :p .. OTOH as a
region module it is easy to imagine ;)

~Toni