[Opensim-dev] Worlds.com CEO: We're 'Absolutely' Going To Sue Second Life

Toni Alatalo antont at kyperjokki.fi
Fri Mar 13 00:06:30 UTC 2009

Sean Hennessee kirjoitti:

without ever having heard of that what-.com-was-it-again and
couldn't-caring-less about it (but having planned and written parts of a
scalable mmorpg in '90 or so :) , and not clicking he links, one remark:

> licensing negotiations -- including giants such as Second Life and World
> of Warcraft, a property of Activision Blizzard (ATVI)."
> I wonder if/how this will affect OpenSim. I assume we couldn't afford to
> defend a lawsuit. Would we just stop development if sued? Are we likely
> to be sued?

AFAIK typically such guys are after easy money (which I guess he won't
get in this case), and preferrably big money, and don't perceive open
source projects as easy targets for that. We had a patent lawyer at the
Blender conference once and that's what he told us iirc :) As he already
names SL, WoW and such he'll get to fight in that league first and I at
least will just continue in peace while they do that somewhere. Of
course as Blender is GPL and no big corps are involved the case may be
different with OpenSim, dunno.

> ~Sean

~Toni