[Opensim-dev] [Opensim-users] Preview split up of OpenSim.ini.example now in bin/config.preview.donotuseyet

Mike Mazur mmazur at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 00:10:45 UTC 2009

Hi Justin,

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 21:31:57 +0000
Justin Clark-Casey <jjustincc at googlemail.com> wrote:

> I have done a preliminary split of the large OpenSim.ini.example file
> into separate files under the directory config.preview.donotuseyet/.
> None of this is yet active.
>
> The separate .ini.example files are placed in a folder structure
> under config/ rather than all in a single directory. Where possible
> the structure follows that of modules and assemblies in the codebase.

In my opinion it's unnecessary to have a folder structure like this for
the config files. New users are likely to see that as overwhelming; in
fact, when I saw the commit message with all those new directories, I
felt a bit overwhelmed! And power users probably like to see all the
config files in one view for quicker access when editing.

I like a system like apache and lighttpd have on some systems. For
example, lighttpd on Debian has something like this:

  /etc/lighttpd/lighttpd.conf
  /etc/lighttpd/conf-available/*.conf
  /etc/lighttpd/conf-enabled/*.conf

lighttpd will look in /etc/lighttpd for its config file, lighttpd.conf.
This file tells lighttpd to also load any configuration files found
in /etc/lighttpd/conf-enabled. The directory
/etc/lighttpd/conf-available hold a bunch of "example" configs, akin to
the *.ini.example in OpenSim.

So in OpenSim, something similar could be achieved by:

  bin/config/OpenSim.ini
  bin/config/*.ini.example
  bin/config/*.ini

In this case, all .ini files in bin/config are loaded. This is in
effect the same as having conf-available and conf-enabled directories.

Thanks,
Mike