[Opensim-dev] OpenID

Chris Hart Chris at codetorque.co.uk
Tue Mar 3 21:10:02 UTC 2009

We currently have a completely open system when it comes to HyperGrid -
it's on or off, and if it's on, anyone can come in.

We know where people come from - that much is readily apparent in the IP
and port of that user's local authentication provider. If I only want to
allow certain people to HyperGrid to my grid, say those that come from a
grid that I trust, then I would like to add them to a trusted list. It's
federated identity - we trust other authentication providers (the other
grids) to handle their user accounts, and we let those users in. Those
we do not trust, we have the option of stopping. Or, just leave it open,
your choice. You have to separate authentication from authorisation.
This is who I am, this is what I am allowed to do. If you can trust the
authentication provider, then you can control authorisation at your end
depending on the level of trust you grant to those users based on where
they are from.

On the other hand, imagine I have a collection of education grids with
school kids from around the world - they would like to collaborate and
HyperGrid to each other, but do not want their kids HyperGridding to 18+
grids. I would like to provide a set of trusted destinations for my
gridizens that conform to my own grid's PG rating.

Chris