[Opensim-dev] OpenID

Dalien Talbot dalienta at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 02:43:07 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 12:57 AM, Diva Canto <diva at metaverseink.com> wrote:

>  There is nothing wrong with the mechanism and its roots. In fact, when I
> first read the spec I liked it a lot. But I hadn't used this until 2 hours
> ago.
>
> There is, potentially, a huge hole in the resulting system because it
> ignores how people interact with their computers. Did anyone make a serious
> study about how the normal people react to being phished on using OpenID?
> That sounds like a great project for one of my colleagues here at UCI...

I think the people will react the same way as usual - they will get stressed
and upset :-) Jokes aside - [1] was an excellent book, and would be cool for
it to be a series or if there is a regular publication devoted to HCI and
security with corresponding research activities.

As far as checking the padlock icon is concerned...

1) Would be interesting in real-world figures on how many people really
click on the padlock icon to check the cert, beyond the security
professionals (I think [1] had even a case study for that, and the numbers
were pretty catastrophic)

2) MD5 collisions[2] and forged CA certs[3] in particular make even that
less than bullet-proof.

OTOH, OpenID does not appear to touch the problem of authentication of the
OpenID provider site to the user (at least from my cursory look at [4] - the
section 15.1.2.1 specifically calls a similar kind of scenario "out of
scope". as well as item 5 of section 3.

I tend to be in a violent agreement with the author of [5] - and I think it
would be awesome if OpenID spec discussed those implementation details -
but, probably they wanted to keep the spec size within the reasonable limits
:)

I suspect that the phishing issue in this particular context could be
relatively simply solved by timed preauthentication - you login via
hardcoded OpenID provider URL (bookmarked) beforehand, and upon successful
authentication they show you a random picture that is reasonably easy to
remember, and is valid for, say 24 hours. (The above step assumes the DNS is
not poisoned :-)

The subsequent redirect from the Relying Party causes this same image shown
alongside with the request for the credentials. With a big enough pool of
images it should somewhat reduce the risk. Of course, even this is too
complex and will require a lot of education (assuming that this quick
improvisation of mine actually provides any security).

/d

[1]: http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596008277/
[2]: http://sechack.blogspot.com/2009/01/md5-collision-demo.html
[3]: