[Opensim-dev] OpenID

Diva Canto diva at metaverseink.com
Mon Mar 2 22:44:46 UTC 2009

OMG!
Sorry for insisting on this, but I tend to get obsessive when I'm trying
to figure things out :-)
I just tried login to some random Brazilian site using my OpenID-ed
Yahoo account. Indeed, it... works... i guess.
I seem to have been redirected to a yahoo openid login page, which,
after I entered my password, proceeded to warn me that "Warning: this
web site has not confirmed its identity with Yahoo! and might be
fraudulent....".

I have no idea/guarantees that this site that the Brazilian site
redirected me that looks like Yahoo, where I entered my password, and
that is warning me of danger, is, indeed, a legitimate Yahoo site. It
might not be. And I have no idea what that potentially fraudulent
Brazilian site might do with the info it gets from Yahoo (assuming this
is Yahoo and not a phishing scam).

Sorry, this defies all common sense...

I can see the *mechanism* of OpenID working among a group of
organizations that trust each other by exo-technical means (read
lawyers). But this mechanism in decentralized, world-wide open systems?!
That's insane!

Crista