[Opensim-dev] TP protocol handle

Cristina Videira Lopes lopes at ics.uci.edu
Sat Jan 31 23:34:29 UTC 2009

Stefan Andersson wrote:
> Kind of crazy idea here, but how is 'landmarks' actually stored on the
> server and used by the client? Shouldn't we be able to store grid and
> region endpoint in a landmark?
>
> I mean, if the landmark contains the region name, it could just as
> well be stored with target grid and/or region endpoint in it as well?
>
> If the client only uses an uuid, it should be requesting that
> conversion from the region, which could in turn use the users home
> grid servers to resolve the uuid request into more metadata - as the
> landmark was originally created on that grid. (yes, that could, in
> theory, mean that person A clicking on a landmark in region B would
> cause B to talk to home grid C that will access originating grid D to
> resolve the actual endpoint and things like that, but hey - think of
> the possibilities!

There's lots of possibilities, I just found out doing this. The map
search, for example, was a wonderful surprise, since the viewer sends
whatever we type there verbatim to the server. So we can type anything
we want and interpret it on the server-side...

I haven't looked into landmarks yet, but it's quite possible that it
does the same.