[Opensim-dev] proposal: cleanup and break up region modules

Tleiades Lauridsen tleiades at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 29 10:01:24 UTC 2009

> Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 08:31:48 +0100
> From: DrScofield at xyzzyxyzzy.net
> To: opensim-dev at lists.berlios.de
> Subject: Re: [Opensim-dev] proposal: cleanup and break up region modules
>
> Tleiades wrote:
> >> I'd be much more of a fan of having each module a seperate dll.  Files
> >> are cheap too. :)  And that makes it very clear to people what they are
> >>

> > (On the fear of talking about performance prematurely)
> > Won't that cause problems for the JIT'er?
> >
> > Normally access to member variables gets optimized away into a direct
> > memory access rather than invocation of a JSR. If I recall correctly
> > this optimization does not work for dynamically loaded assemblies.
>
> well, if that's the case, then it's not working currently either :-) currently
> we lump all region modules into one large super DLL and load that dynamically.

I  guess what I'm saying is that dll files are not as cheap as it is being implied. Having an application dynamicallly load a large number of dll's at runtime, is less efficient that loading a few large dll's during load time. The JIT'ed code will be less efficient and loadtime of the application will increase. While load time may not be a big issue, I believe it is best to give the JIT engine the best working condition.

As I understand it the JIT engine and assembly loader have been designed based on a use pattern which states: "Most assemblies will be loaded during application load time, and only few assemblies will be loaded at a latter stage", I definately know this to be a fact for the MS .Net engine, but I don't know if that is also the case for Mono, although I believe it will be safe to assume so.