[Opensim-dev] weird idea #1: lightweight agent/ spectator

Dirk Krause dirk.krause at pixelpark.com
Mon Jan 26 11:37:57 UTC 2009

Sounds good.

Remember that someone (you?)  in the openviewer discussion back then
told me, that there were server updates everytime you turn around?  I
was really surprised at first because of the inefficiency that I
suspected. Then I thought, ok, this is not WoW - the scenery can change
anytime so the next time you look back the wall behind you could be
gone, so it is a good thing that the server does send it again.

But then again ... if there was a flag saying 'this is a wall' and it is
not going to change anytime soon and 'this is a powerpoint presenter'
this *will*l change anytime soon ... the stream of updates for a regular
agent viewer wouldn't need to change then (thus not breaking SL
compatibility), but for a 'simple observer' I would hope that the number
of updates decreases dramatically.

I am not saying this is the solution, but I think it's worth the while
thinking along these lines.