[Opensim-dev] anon logins

Mircea Kitsune mircea_the_kitsune at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 24 13:08:17 UTC 2009

As far as my understanding goes no client change would be required at all. It wouldn't be difficult for someone to write Guest in their Last Name and their wanted nickname in First Name to use the client's 2-name architecture, while everything else is handled entirely server-side so nothing in the client could get in the way. Assigning a random avatar UUID to every logging-in guest would be handled by the server alone as well as every operation involving the avatar's existence, settings, etc.

There wouldn't be people with the same name either, as each would most likely have a different first name at all times. Double nickname protection should actually be added I think, so if someone has a chosen nickname on the grid someone else can't use it at the same time. Eg: If Mynickname Guest is present into that grid, someone else attempting to log in would not be allowed to take that name until its avatar logs off first, and would need to use Anythingelse Guest.

Another protection that would probably be needed as well on this side is not allowing users to register with the last name Guest or Anon or what the grid has set for guests. So for instance, if the last name used for guests on OSGrid would be Guest, one cannot go to osgrid.org and register theirself as Something Guest. That's all just what I think again, there may be better ways to do all this but this is the system I had in my mind for now :)

> Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 21:10:21 -0700
> From: frank at thenichols.net
> To: opensim-dev at lists.berlios.de
> Subject: Re: [Opensim-dev] anon logins
>
> Hmm, well, my response was in regards to the client/viewer. I expect
> each anon login would recieve a UUID which would make it unique as far
> as the server/region is concerned. I expect some tweaking in the server
> would be required. As for chatting etc, well, yes, it might be confusing
> to have 20 or 30 people nearby all with the same name, but I think the
> idea is not an account that people would use long term, but one that
> someone could just drop in and see what OS/SL is all about. Also, the
> server could assign a unique first or last name to the user if needed,
> again, server side tweaks we can handle.
>
> I am not familiar with the client code, so it may in fact be working
> with the account/name and not the uuid, which would be unfortunate
> design - but not the first unfortunate design decision there...

Another thing which was discussed in the previous mailing session was that guests should have their own appearance as well. They could be wearing a shirt with "Guest" written on it or anything else by default for instance. Guests could also be able to use the library inventory and all the things there. There would have to be a difference between guests and registered users like on every system however, since there are things that one cannot do as a guest and can only do as a registered user.