[Opensim-dev] anon logins

Mircea Kitsune mircea_the_kitsune at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 23 22:32:53 UTC 2009

It's perfectly ok cfk, that's not what I meant and such a thing doesn't matter to me at all. Many likely had the same ideas and thoughts on this whoever brought the topic up first. What matters is the decision we take on how to implement such a system the right way :)

> Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 10:30:52 -0800
> From: cfk at pacbell.net
> To: opensim-dev at lists.berlios.de
> Subject: Re: [Opensim-dev] anon logins
>

> Mircea:
>
> My apologies if your ideas were not credited properly. As I recall, you and others
> have suggested guest logins and I just thought this morning was a good time to
> open the discussion a little bit on our OS2B.
>
> Charles

Many of us see things the same way Paul. Anon logins would allow Opensim to be used just like the web where you can type an URL and be there. Put in my previous example, like IRC or forums where guests can enter, listen/read and talk/post where they're allowed to but need to register in order to setup avatars, signatures, upload files, have sticky voice / op status... Especially considering that there are some viewers now which can run from web pages, one would just open their web browser, type out the URL and be on OSGrid!

In our case guests would not be able to have persistent inventory, friend lists, profiles, etc. because of technical limits, since anon logins would be temporary like unregistered IRC nicknames so storing anything for them would lead to issues and conflicts as well as keep gigantic storage for nicknames which may never be used again. Being allowed to build or run scripts should be an option of the sim owner in opensim.ini, who could choose if to allow guests to build there or not. Sim owners should also be allowed to specify if guests can enter their sim (in case the grid allows guests too of course) so owners could make their regions off limit to guests if they wish.

Another factor I highlighted in the previous discussion is how guest logins could increase user count on grids and therefore Opensim usage and popularity. Many SL users are still not interested in Opensim a lot, and when they see they have to register to enter places like OSGrid some say "Nah, I don't need to waste my time with another account just to see how an Opensim grid looks like". Guest logins on popular OS grids would make it much easier for people to enter just to visit or chat, and convince some to join while others who don't care to register could just hang out as guests for as much as they want. OSGrid still suffers from a very low number of users and high number of sims, and guest logins might help improve that and we could see +80 users logged in on a daily basis again.