[Opensim-dev] new Mono

Stefan Andersson stefan at tribalmedia.se
Fri Jan 23 08:53:33 UTC 2009

> IIRC, Mono 1.2.6 supports a limited amount of .NET 3.0 syntax. Mono 1.9.1 was the first version to have a complete implementation of the language changes in .NET 3.0.

Not that I know anything about what versions of mono does what, but I was under the impression that .NET 3.0 was purely an API extension (the foundations) and didn't introduce language or syntax changes, but uses the 2.0 CLR - it was with .NET 3.5 that MS introduced C# 3.0, I believe.

> Most of .NET 3.5 is not supported in Mono yet. Visual Studio 2005 is more of a support issue than Mono for .NET 3.0.
"The Mono Compiler is considered feature complete for C# 3.0"
taken from
http://www.mono-project.com/CSharp_Compiler
which also lists the features introduced in C# 3.0 as "supported".

So, what we're saying here, I believe (again, I'm no mono guy) that we could use C# 3.0 syntactical features from some given release of mono, but still stay wary of the unsupported parts of the .NET API.

Could we not just
* Identify in what mono release C# 3.0 was considered syntactically feature complete, and use C# 3.0 syntax from there on
* say we just need to work together to not introduce any incompatible projects into OpenSim core until the mono people say so

Just trying to chip in,
/Stefan