[Opensim-dev] Status of voice

Sean Dague sdague at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 15:22:59 UTC 2009

Ryan McDougall wrote:
> Its been almost a year since I worked on this, but voice is functional
> in a limited manner if you have the time and ability to set everything
> up.
>
> There is the server-side changes, and gateway app that DrScofld
> created, and a client-side hack that I wrote last year:
> http://xyzzyxyzzy.net/2008/04/18/opensim-voice-support-the-goal-is-in-sight/
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/voipforvw/
>
> The voipforvw project attempts to reverse engineer the SLVoice.exe
> module that ships with SL viewer.
>
> The problems with the current state of things:
> - no one is being paid to work on voipforvw anymore
> - there is only 1 real viewer: LL SL client and kin
> - SLVoice.exe/Vivox is proprietary and a black-box
> - no one can work on the LL SL client and OpenSim at the same time
> - Asterisk is a PITA to work with
> - One would need to learn SIP telephony networking details to do a
> proper and secure job of making a VoIP network
>
> and probably some more.
>
> My hope is that the upcoming reX viewer will solve some of these issues by:
> - making reX viewer a non-LL derived, BSD-based viewer so people can
> work on both
> - paying people to work on voice for the reX viewer
> - using the hopefully simpler an better supported XMPP protocol suite
> for IM, voice, and video

I really think this will only be interesting if SIP is still supported.
 As Voice in Virtual worlds gets really interesting if you can also
transparently bring in other sources of voice (call in numbers, or
individuals).  It's not just asterix that supports SIP, it's every major
new commercial phone switch on the market.  Creating another island of
voice that can't connect to the existing world of voice services would
be very limiting.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague / Neas Bade