[Opensim-dev] Timezones, UTC, GMT & PST

Gerhard Dünnebeil Gerhard.Duennebeil at chello.at
Sun Jan 18 19:38:41 UTC 2009

When dealing with time you have to distinguish between the time the
machines work on and the time the users sees.

Introducing time zones at the wrong level also introduces a lot of
confusion as you (the developer) always have to know with which time
zone you currently deal.

MySQL isn't really an issue as you can set the time zone you want to
work in with the session.

So my thoughts:
Use UTC internally; that includes storage of data, machine to machine
communication, ....
Use the users time zone when (and only when) communicating with the
user, which is mainly when times are displayed.

This is easier as one might think, as using UTC as the time base is
available in all standard OS (windows, linux, ...) these days. There is
no need to set a system clock to UTC as long as the system knows the
offset to UTC.

Gerhard