[Opensim-dev] A Online HyperGrid Link list for OpenSim's 2nd birthday

MW michaelwri22 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jan 16 13:18:38 UTC 2009

So does anyone feel like setting up such a online xml list for OpenSim's 2nd birthday?

Ideally it would be a simple website that had two functions:

First a form where anyone could fill in the data about their region, like its externalhostName , port number, and a RegionName (localName). Then I guess a php scrit that takes that submitted info and auto assigns the next free X,Y location (in the 0, 0 - 99,99 area), and adds it to the xml data.

The second function would be just a url that the xml document was accessible from.

MW <michaelwri22 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote: So I have decided to quickly add some very basic auto relocation for mapping.

By adding a new  console command : link-mapping <StartXloc> <StartYloc>

So if someone uses that before loading a xml file, it will only take notice of the last two digits of the locations in the xml file, and then add those 0-99 values to the StartXloc and StartYloc figures.

So just to be as clear as possible, this means that if a user entered the command : link-mapping 6000 5000

And then loaded a xml file that had a entry like :

<Section Name="Region1">
   <Key Name="xloc" Value="1023"/>
   <Key Name="yloc" Value="1065" />
   <Key Name="externalPort" Value="9006" />
   <Key Name="externalHostName" Value="osl2.nac.uci.edu" />
   <Key Name="localName" Value="OSGrid-Gateway" />
</Section>

The actual location of that region would be 6023, 5065.

MW  <michaelwri22 at yahoo.co.uk> wrote: For the map location bug and just as a general feature, I was thinking of some sort of auto remapping.

So adding a command something like :

link-automapping <TopLeftXpos> <TopLeftYpos> <BottomRightXpos> <BottomRightYpos>

and then when the xml file is read, it does some basic remapping to move the locations that are set in the xml files to the area defined in the above command.

So the basic pattern is kept but everyone might have them at a different area on their region's map.

So can I get some comments and suggestions on if people would want some a feature.

Diva Canto <diva at metaverseink.com> wrote: MW wrote:
>  I've just added some very initial support for reading Hypergrid link
> data from xml files, that includes support for the xml files being on
> a  webserver.
>
> The xml file has a format like:

> And to make a region load it and create the links, you use the console
> command:  link-region  []
>
> The excludeList parameter is so that certain links in those xml files
> are ignored.
>
> With the format: excludeList[;].
>
> The main thinking for this is so that a single list for a certain
> group/event could be created. Then everyone interested in it, just
> adds their own region data to the list.
>
> But so they can also point their own region at that list, they just
> add the section name they used to the exclude list, so that it doesn't
> try to link to itself.
>
> If we can find a way of having a xml file on a webserver that people
> can add new entries to (maybe through a form script). Then I think it
> would be a good idea to have such a list for OpenSim's 2nd birthday.
Wow this is great!
It's one of those things that I've been wanting to do from day 1, but
given the existence of startup_commands.txt, it just got always low
priority. But for events like this, this is really great!

> Although this idea really needs some sort of automapping or at least
> better configuration of the map locations that the regions are placed at.
>
> I think if everyone just agrees that a certain area on the map [so say
> x,y  - x+25, y+25] is reserved for link regions, that it is workable
> for now.
For now, and given the 4096 problem, and the fact that there is a split
distribution of OpenSim grids around 1000,1000 and 10000, 10000, we may
need to channel this information through the regions that I am setting
up in the UCI Grid. I mean, everyone can dowanload the link set from
your web site, but if the regions are not in range, they need to go
through the UCI bridge. So maybe we need to somehow expose the grid
position, for the time being :-/

What a pain, this bug.

Opensim-dev mailing  list
Opensim-dev at lists.berlios.de