[Opensim-dev] A Online HyperGrid Link list for OpenSim's 2nd birthday

Diva Canto diva at metaverseink.com
Fri Jan 16 04:37:21 UTC 2009

MW wrote:
> I've just added some very initial support for reading Hypergrid link
> data from xml files, that includes support for the xml files being on
> a webserver.
>
> The xml file has a format like:
>
> <Nini>
>  <Section Name="Region1">
>    <Key Name="xloc" Value="1002"/>
>    <Key Name="yloc" Value="1006" />
>    <Key Name="externalPort" Value="9006" />
>    <Key Name="externalHostName" Value="osl2.nac.uci.edu" />
>    <Key Name="localName" Value="OSGrid-Gateway" />
>  </Section>
>  <Section Name="Region2">
>  </Section>
> </Nini>
>
> And to make a region load it and create the links, you use the console
> command:  link-region <URI> [<excludeList>]
>
> The excludeList parameter is so that certain links in those xml files
> are ignored.
>
> With the format: excludeList<xml SectionName>[;<xml SectionName>].
>
> The main thinking for this is so that a single list for a certain
> group/event could be created. Then everyone interested in it, just
> adds their own region data to the list.
>
> But so they can also point their own region at that list, they just
> add the section name they used to the exclude list, so that it doesn't
> try to link to itself.
>
> If we can find a way of having a xml file on a webserver that people
> can add new entries to (maybe through a form script). Then I think it
> would be a good idea to have such a list for OpenSim's 2nd birthday.
Wow this is great!
It's one of those things that I've been wanting to do from day 1, but
given the existence of startup_commands.txt, it just got always low
priority. But for events like this, this is really great!

> Although this idea really needs some sort of automapping or at least
> better configuration of the map locations that the regions are placed at.
>
> I think if everyone just agrees that a certain area on the map [so say
> x,y - x+25, y+25] is reserved for link regions, that it is workable
> for now.
For now, and given the 4096 problem, and the fact that there is a split
distribution of OpenSim grids around 1000,1000 and 10000, 10000, we may
need to channel this information through the regions that I am setting
up in the UCI Grid. I mean, everyone can dowanload the link set from
your web site, but if the regions are not in range, they need to go
through the UCI bridge. So maybe we need to somehow expose the grid
position, for the time being :-/

What a pain, this bug.