[Opensim-dev] 2nd birthday: Party Like it's (1999+0xA)

Stefan Andersson stefan at tribalmedia.se
Fri Jan 9 03:57:19 UTC 2009

Guys,

I went ahead and created

http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Second_Birthday

So please consider doing some activity to boost interest in your grid or region, and add it to the list, sorted by starting time GMT so people can find what's going on.
Also, feel free to flesh the very page structure out; this is a community effort made in typical OpenSim anarchy style; we have no 'birthday committee' so if you want to see this thing fly, go ahead and do your part to make it happen!
I would recommend any grid owner to set up an activity in a hypergrid-enabled region (standalone, if grid drm is an issue) that would serve as a 'storefront' that other grids/regions can hyperlink to. Think of it as a hypergrid 'plug-fest' (I guess you'd call it a 'link-fest'?)
Best regards,Stefan AnderssonTribal Media AB

From: stefan at tribalmedia.seTo: opensim-dev at lists.berlios.de; opensim-users at lists.berlios.deDate: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 15:16:34 +0100Subject: [Opensim-users] Proposal: 2nd birthday parties + cleanup

Guys, first of all, sorry for the cross-post, just wanted to get maximum attention for a worthy cause. OpenSims 2nd birthday is coming up (jan 29) I don't propose cheesy 'cultural' events; but: a) we should have a page on the wiki where everybody could post a short notice about where and when and on what grid parties will be held.b) I propose the hypergrid community start linking their party regions so we all can go club hopping.c) As a birthday present to ourselves, I propose a facelift and clean up. What I mean with c) is:* Last I saw, our default Library content node sucked.* Now I'm looking around, I see quite a lot of people making high-grade content available under various compatible licenses.* Let's work to rally together a high-quality default library.   * Users, you find content libraries, try it and report it.  * Creators, you work with devs to find good ways of importing it into the lib.  * Devs, you start thinking on how to make the importing really really easy.* What I would like to see is a crem-de-la-creme default library node, Making OpenSim look really god damn good out-of-the-boxanybody up for that?Also, * The default island; we really should have a better default island. With some demo content allowing people to toy around with various aspects of opensim.* You grid people, couldn't you set up a region where a group of people could work cooperative to make a demo 'welcome' island, and then just save-oar it so we can distribute it with the core distro? So noobs could just load-oar demo.xml and hey presto! And as an added bonus; * We should have a simple 'create avatar' as part of the opensim ecosystem. With this I mean something in the 'register user' or 'create user' that allows to specify a template for that avatar.* Tribal just recently added support for inventory cloning and wearing into the trunk, could you php registration guys (yo redux!) work with us to make a nice 'choose avatar' step in the registration process? Here's saying skol, salut, chin-chin in anticipation of our third year together. This is going to be a wonderful year! Best regards,Stefan AnderssonTribal Media AB Join the 3d web revolution : http://tribalnet.se/