[Opensim-dev] .NET services example (was: RE: GForge Project)

Hurliman, John john.hurliman at intel.com
Wed Jan 7 19:41:49 UTC 2009

Take a look at how the distributed asset server handles running as a service:

http://forge.opensimulator.org/gf/project/assetserver/scmsvn/?action=browse&path=%2Ftrunk%2FAssetServer%2FMain.cs&revision=57&view=markup
and
http://forge.opensimulator.org/gf/project/assetserver/scmsvn/?action=browse&path=%2Ftrunk%2FAssetServer%2FAssetServer.cs&revision=60&view=markup

If the project is compiled in debug mode, it initializes the AssetServer class directly and runs a loop waiting for Ctrl+C to exit. If the project is compiled in release mode, it uses ServiceBase to create a service (use mono-service2 to run under Linux). This gets around the common problem of ServiceBase interfering with debugging, but still works under Windows+Linux without substantial code changes or any wrappers.

John