[Opensim-dev] Hypergrid access control

J Ross Nicoll jrn2005 at cs.st-andrews.ac.uk
Mon Jan 5 14:16:06 UTC 2009

Looking at the recent addition of hypergrid to OpenSim; great stuff,
but...

I'd like to have external users only be able to access some of my
grid, so there are private "local user only" parts, and a shared space
for local and remote users. For example, I'm looking at using OpenSim
in education, a major advantage of which is no age restrictions, but
it does mean we want to be able to carefully control parts of the grid
that students can wander unchecked.

Having been thinking about this, to me it would make most sense if we
ran two grids. An external grid that runs in a standard hypergrid
configuration, and an internal grid that refuses to accept avatars
coming over the hypergrid connection, but can send them out. Does that
sound sensible and feasible?

The University of St Andrews is a charity registered in Scotland : No
SC013532