[Opensim-dev] Authentication, take 2: Capabilities

Melanie melanie at t-data.com
Fri Feb 27 04:58:39 UTC 2009

Well, if FetchInventoryDescendents works better over CAPS, then we
can try using that. Now, that would serve another purpose beyond
your intended trust issue:

Currently, inventory is fetched by the region en-bloc, rather than
being fetched only on demand. There isn't even a function to fetch a
single item by UUID.

Now, here is what I found:

- If an item is given to a user while that user is offline, the user
needs to clear cache to see it
- If an item is given to a user while that user is in another
region, the item will not show until a relog & cache clear

You just supplied a very important bit of information, namely that
the viewer sends SendInventoryDescendents over UDP only after a
cache clear, but over CAPS it's sent all the time.

So, CAPS would seem to be the solution to this issue.

Now, here it goes, again:

There are grids that are set up to have an inventory server that is
inaccessible to the viewer. So, while I'm, of course, not opposed to
your approach of lettign the viewer talk to the inventory server,
that needs to be optional. The inventory server is not secure enough
to be open to the internet! Not for the fledgling commercial
offerings like LCO.

Also, this highlights a new, additional reason to have a function
like "get item by uuid" on the inventory server interface. On
cross-region gives, the region of the receiving agent receives a
message (via IM) containing the item ID. In order to send the bulk
update message that is needed to make the viewer actually see the
item, it needs to first fetch it. This is not an issue if giver and
receiver are in one region, because the item is already in the
region's inventory cache, but if it;s a different region, it doesn't
have that item and currently has no way to request it, short of
reloading that user's complete inventory!

So, maybe, as a side effect, this problem can be solved, since such
a "fetch item to region by UUID" function will be needed for that
scenario, too.

For open grid offerings, I see some added security against regions
corrupting user inventories, for all grids, I see some advantage in
memory consumption, because the full inventory fetch on region entry
is removed by it, and also maybe a chance to make cross-region item
giving work.

The only thing I'm asking is, please make the ex-region CAPS giving
for this optional, e.g. provide a region implementation to proxy it
and allow selection of either a region caps (for trusted regions and
closed grids) and inventory server CAPS (for open grids that have
accessible inventory servers).

Melanie