[Opensim-dev] User Authentication

Diva Canto diva at metaverseink.com
Wed Feb 25 15:57:11 UTC 2009

The check ping packets are for detecting spoofing. The malicious
man-in-the-middle already has all the info from Charles simply because
Charles went to his region: UUID, sessionID, secureSessionID, Viewer
EndPoint... everything that we send around to regions. Note that the
info wasn't sniffed, it was given, as we always do. Yeah, what I'm
talking about does not involve sophisticated equipment...
So it can easily launch an agent at WP pretending to be Charles,
spoofing the UDP EndPoint. What it *can't* do is to *receive* the UDP
PingCheck packets that  WP sends to that EndPoint. The best it can do is
to send a reply guessing what the seq number might be.