[Opensim-dev] On solving Authentication and such

Mike Mazur mmazur at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 00:06:04 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 09:45:27 -0800
Diva Canto <diva at metaverseink.com> wrote:

> I think the proposal is exactly the opposite, at least for the time
> being. That is, let's use whatever the LL viewer already has for 3D
> rendering, and let's move the non-3D features out onto Web
> applications.

The way I understood the proposal is to separate out the 3D and 2D
functionality at all(?) levels.

This means that the server will provide one client stack implementing
one protocol that deals only with 3D information. Avatar movement,
scene description, agent updates, prim updates, etc. The viewer speaks
this protocol in order to display to the user what is happening in the
3D world. This makes it possible to write a client that is only capable
of viewing the world and doesn't care about inventory. The protocol
could be, for example, the LLUDP protocol.

The inherently 2D features, such as chat or inventory, can use another
protocol. The server will provide a different client stack that deals
only with the 2D feature(s). The viewer also implements this protocol to
provide these additional services to the user. This 2D information can
then be overlaid over the 3D rendering of the world. This allows to
write clients that manipulate this data only, like inventory managers,
asset browsers, chat-only clients, etc. The protocol used here could be
HTTP.

This separation of protocols for all the different ways a user
interacts with the virtual world sounds like a Good Thing (tm) to me.

Mike