[Opensim-dev] Phantom prims and memory usage?

Kyle create at reactiongrid.com
Mon Feb 23 19:08:03 UTC 2009

Great explanation thanks Dahlia!

From: opensim-dev-bounces at lists.berlios.de
[mailto:opensim-dev-bounces at lists.berlios.de] On Behalf Of Dahlia Trimble
Sent: Monday, February 23, 2009 1:39 PM
To: opensim-dev at lists.berlios.de
Subject: Re: [Opensim-dev] Phantom prims and memory usage?

Phantom prims do not require a "proxy", which is an in-memory representation
of the object used to compute collisions. Proxy memory usage is directly
related to prim complexity, and simple boxes and spheres are the most memory
efficient. Memory requirements increase as prims are reshaped and features
such as hollows and cuts are used. To get a rough idea about what is
happening, observe a prim in wireframe mode in the SL viewer (ctrl-shift-R)
and edit a prim, varying the available parameters in the editor. Each
intersection of lines results in a "vertex" and each triangle formed are the
individual elements which use memory. Note that the sl viewer uses more of
these elements than the equivalent proxy on the server uses, as additional
elements can be used to display higher quality shading effects on the
display.

Due to the nature of "unmanaged" memory usage between the ODE library and
the "managed" use in the OpenSim code base, it is unclear how well each
run-time environment (mono or .NET framework, or version differences) is
able to reclaim memory that was once used for a prim that is now phantom. If
one is attempting to characterize memory usage the results will most likely
vary between these environments. Also, restarting the simulator process may
in some cases show an improvement.

One other factor to consider is the Garbage Collection (GC) policies of each
run time environment are also inconsistent, and memory usage displays such
as "top" in linux systems and the windows task manager may be quite
inaccurate.