[Opensim-dev] MXPClient?

Toni Alatalo antont at kyperjokki.fi
Mon Feb 23 07:36:33 UTC 2009

Frisby, Adam kirjoitti:
> Croquet: No adapter being worked on (I was working on VastPark - which we started today and will finish tomorrow/weds.). Would be interesting to try however - would definitely need help from the Croquet team.

oops sorry for the wrong recall - yes that might be interesting indeed,
also with the p2p aspects.

> I'm still open to other options if people can think of them.

after the previous post (and having fun thinking of game clients like
quake), was back to thinking about Verse. it might be actually even
useful for integrating with 3d apps, but at least interesting 'cause
provides for live editing of meshes etc.

the model is quite fitting i find: the client connects to a server,
which tells what objects there are, and the client can then subscribe to
the objects it wants (all, or just one or some) and the type of events
that it is interested in (object moves, vertex moves, ..)

J. Hurliman implemented / experimented with preliminary Verse support
some weeks ago, by writing VerseSharp (the ref impl is c, verse.net by
Nathan Letwory is unfinished - there is also one c++ impl by iirc
Fraunhöfer), to Cable Beach. support in OpenSim (for having live scenes)
would complement that.

On the client side there are Eskil's own tools, incuding a modeller and
a renderer (viewer like thing), Blender and a somewhat functional 3dmax
plugin. And a gimp plugin for editing images.

Reportedly the spec is not perfect (also changes have been proposed to
the protocol) but it works, John Hurliman manages to implement it, and
hopefully can put his impl out somewhere soon enough.

> Adam

~Toni