[Opensim-dev] Refactoring IClientAPI.Close and Friends

Frisby, Adam adam at deepthink.com.au
Sun Feb 22 07:21:05 UTC 2009

Right now, we have four separate close methods for clients, enumerated they are (for LLClientView):

-          Close(bool circuit)

o   Either fires an event, or closes the connection depending on parameter[!?]

-          Kick(string msg)

o   Asks the client politely to quit. [!?]

-          Stop()

o   Initialises some shutdown cleanup

-          Restart()

o   Undo-'s the above

-          Terminate()

o   Stops processing packets for the user and removes their entry in the packet server

I would like to propose changing this into three methods.

-          Close(string msg) - Combines Kick, Terminate and Close into one method. We need to find out why Close branches onto the event when the parameter is true, or closes when false, and streamline it. Kick should automatically terminate the connection - there should be no 'requests' involved, it should be a very straight forward 'You are the weakest link. Goodbye.'

-          Pause() - Equivilent to Stop() as it is now. Function described as 'Suspend Packet Processing'

-          Resume() - Equivilent to Restart() as it is now. Function described as 'Resume Packet Processing'

Adam