[Opensim-dev] oddities with asset storage

Dr Scofield DrScofield at xyzzyxyzzy.net
Thu Feb 19 07:45:53 UTC 2009

Dirk Krause wrote:
> Glad you asked :-).
>
> I would do a mixture of the following (and admit that I didn't think it all through to the very end).
>
> - introduce grid wide, region wide and personal (user) asset domains
> - introduce quotas for these
> - allow clones ('byref') assets, and copies that go into one of the domains, resp.
>
> I then would expect to have grid wide assets that are 'always on', region wide assets that only are important when the region is connected, and personal assets that are only visible when the user is online (could even be an FTP server behind a cable beach server).
>
> It boils down to: if someone treasures something, she better keeps it in her treasure chest, in her responsibility (and maintenance cost).

ok. so i now buy something in your region, take it with me, rezz it on my
region. how would that work and how would that address your concerns? oh, and my
region is rather volatile, it might be there one moment, it might be off-line
the next.

	DrS/dirk
--
dr dirk husemann ---- virtual worlds research ---- ibm zurich research lab