[Opensim-dev] Any OpenSim viewers being built from scratch?

Mister Blue misterblue at misterblue.com
Tue Feb 17 02:46:42 UTC 2009

Since the topic has been brought up, I have been working on a viewer
under the cover of darkness. What started as a personal educational
project has gotten out of hand. Mostly, I have been working on the
viewer infrastructure and separation of the world/viewer/renderer
parts. It keeps getting torn apart and refactored so I am not quite
ready to forge the project. Give me a few weeks.

I'm currently finishing up the managed/unmanaged interface between the
world/viewer (C#) and Ogre (C++) although it's not tied to that
renderer. I have considered porting the renderer portion of the
Idealist viewer on top of it to show the extensibility. This would
also give both Ogre and Irrlicht renderers and people around here like
to pick their own poison.

Anyway, it has pluggable "viewer"s which interface to one or more
"world" representations which are currently fed by libomv, uses
PrimMesher for meshing, has pluggable "renderer"s, separates "LL"
compatibility from the renderer to eventually allow pluggable meshing
modules and new object formats, its own abstract concept of "scenes"
(regions) so they can be overlapped or different sizes, separation of
asset management from the world allowing multiple repositories and all
UI through web browsers. That last bit is odd but I figure that the
dialog or HUD you're interfacing with doesn't need to come from the
viewer so the interface to the viewer proper is all HTTP requests and
one can spin up dialogs to talk to it or other services.

Now that I've opened my mouth, I better get back to work.

-- mb