[Opensim-dev] EstateID from uint to UUID

Tommi Laukkanen tommi.s.e.laukkanen at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 11:22:45 UTC 2009

I think this is a valuable discussion to have. My view is that all object
identifiers ought to be UUIDs as UUID type is developed specifically for
that with bullet broof unique id generation algorithm where as all other id
generation algorithms are either database specific or fail if you have
distributed service or both. If we want to prepare for distributing all our
systems then aiming for purely UUID based identification is a good step
forward. In understand that in practice it might be a very long time before
we can reach a point where all identifiers are of UUID type but if we
consider this to be a design principle then the resolution is immediately
valid for any new implementations we do.