[Opensim-dev] Please do not revert fixes without careful comtemplation

Mike Mazur mmazur at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 01:51:46 UTC 2009

Hello,

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 1:12 AM, Tommi Laukkanen
<tommi.s.e.laukkanen at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you decide to revert fixes the least you can do is to look into them in
> detail and run the unit tests to make sure that the revert does not make
> situation worse.
>
> This is also part of mutual respect between developers. Some of us are new
> in the project. Some of us are inexperienced. But all of us have intellect
> and feelings. Optimally if you find a problem which does not cause problems
> in the production it is best that the person in blame is given advice and
> gets to fix the issue himself.
>
> This is a large project and we should appreciate everyone who contributes.
> Motivation is a fragile thing and we should give our peers all the courtesy
> we can. Let us make the community more enjoyable to everyone.

First, let me apologize for any disrespect you feel, it's definitely
unintentional.

Second, I need to apologize for ignoring the NHibernate unit tests. My
testing script runs whatever is in .nant/local.include and
.nant/bamboo.build, and it appears OpenSim.Data.NHibernate.Tests.dll
is listed in neither of those. Once the NHibernate tests pass, they
should probably be included. Of course this is no excuse for not
looking for the NHibernate tests sooner.

Finally, you may notice in the commit message that the patch came from
another contributor attached to
http://opensimulator.org/mantis/view.php?id=3080 who was having issues
with NHibernate on startup. I believe this qualifies as a problem in
production. The patch fixed that issue. Naturally, had I run the tests
like I should have, I would have noticed they fail, and left a comment
for the author of the patch accordingly.

Please don't regard this as a personal attack. In fact, the commit of
the patch was mainly in response to
http://opensimulator.org/mantis/view.php?id=3080 rather than imposing
my fix to http://opensimulator.org/mantis/view.php?id=3122.

Thanks,