[Opensim-dev] AssetServer Observations and Suggestions

Melanie melanie at t-data.com
Mon Feb 9 15:42:08 UTC 2009

In a normal grid use scenario (OSGRID) I believe that most assets
are _initially_ created by uploading them through the viewer. Even
though they can be deleted, few people delete their textures, since
they are always needed for further building. The savings would be
minuscule, IMHO. Assets being implicitly shared, any textures passed
to another user will link to the same inventory item, so that
deleting something from one user's inventory doesn't mean that it is
deleted from all users' inventories. There is no way to determine a
reference but by scanning all inventories and all object assets.

Melanie