[Opensim-dev] what are the core region modules? which are not?

Dr Scofield DrScofield at xyzzyxyzzy.net
Mon Feb 9 15:25:48 UTC 2009

Justin Clark-Casey wrote:
> Dr Scofield wrote:
>> i'm now working on step 2 of the OpenSim.Region.Environment refactor.
>> here is a list of CoreModules and OptionalModules. clearly the later
>> ones are candidates for moving to forge. any comments on the contents of
>> these two lists? any modules that should not be in CoreModules (and any
>> modules that should be in CoreModules)?
>
> Could you tell us what criteria you're using for this?

the following: Core should be anything that is

(a) referenced directly or indirectly from outside CoreModules/OptionalModules
(b) is necessary to provide the base 3D/VW user experience

and, admittedly, this is a rough view and i'm the first to admit that i
misclassified, hence my request for comments! :-)

>> Core region modules:
>>
>> CoreModules/Communications/REST
>> CoreModules/Communications/Local

referenced directly.

>> CoreModules/Hypergrid

dito.

>> CoreModules/World/TreePopulator
>> CoreModules/World/Sound
>> CoreModules/World/Land
>> CoreModules/World/Terrain
>> CoreModules/World/Terrain/FloodBrushes
>> CoreModules/World/Terrain/FileLoaders
>> CoreModules/World/Terrain/PaintBrushes
>> CoreModules/World/Terrain/Effects
>> CoreModules/World/Terrain/Tests
>> CoreModules/World/Estate
>> CoreModules/World/Wind
>> CoreModules/World/Vegetation
>> CoreModules/World/Sun
>> CoreModules/World/Permissions
>> CoreModules/World/WorldMap
>> CoreModules/World/Archiver
>> CoreModules/World/Archiver/Tests
>> CoreModules/World/Serialiser

not sure whether ALL of these are core. so in dubio pro reo.

>> CoreModules/Agent/TextureDownload
>> CoreModules/Agent/Capabilities
>> CoreModules/Agent/TextureSender
>> CoreModules/Agent/TextureSender/Tests
>> CoreModules/Agent/AssetTransaction
>> CoreModules/Agent/Xfer

those seem to contribute essential services.

>> CoreModules/Framework/EventQueue
>> CoreModules/Framework/InterfaceCommander

dito.

>> CoreModules/Scripting/XMLRPC
>> CoreModules/Scripting/LoadImageURL
>> CoreModules/Scripting/DynamicTexture
>> CoreModules/Scripting/EMailModules
>> CoreModules/Scripting/VectorRender
>> CoreModules/Scripting/WorldComm
>> CoreModules/Scripting/HttpRequest

required for script engines, i guess. in dubio pro reo.

>> CoreModules/Grid/Interregion

required for Grid mode, i guess.

>> CoreModules/Avatar/Groups

rudimentary group support.

>> CoreModules/Avatar/Lure

teleport lures.

>> CoreModules/Avatar/InstantMessage

i consider this core functionality.

>> CoreModules/Avatar/AvatarFactory

referenced directly.

>> CoreModules/Avatar/Inventory/Transfer
>> CoreModules/Avatar/Inventory/Archiver

i consider this core functionality.

>> CoreModules/Avatar/Profiles
>> CoreModules/Avatar/Gestures
>> CoreModules/Avatar/Friends
>> CoreModules/Avatar/ObjectCaps
>> CoreModules/Avatar/Chat/ChatModule

dito.

>> CoreModules/Avatar/Currency/SampleMoney

i don't consider this core functionality, but it's referenced.

>> CoreModules/Avatar/Dialog

core functionality.

>> Optional region modules:
>>
>> OptionalModules/World/NPC
>> OptionalModules/Avatar/Voice
>> OptionalModules/Avatar/Voice/AsterixVoice
>> OptionalModules/Avatar/Voice/SIPVoice

none of the voice modules has working client counter part so far. so, definitely
optional.

>> OptionalModules/Avatar/Concierge

definitely optional.

>> OptionalModules/Avatar/Combat

where does this come from and how is it being used?

>> OptionalModules/Avatar/Chat/IRC-stuff

i'd consider this optional.

>> OptionalModules/ContentManagementSystem

same here.

>> OptionalModules/InterGrid

ok, this could be a CoreModule on the same level as HyperGrid...it's just that
HyperGrid seems to be much more advanced and we made the decision to move it
from forge to core.

as i said, i'd LOVE to hear on this and get this sorted.

--
dr dirk husemann ---- virtual worlds research ---- ibm zurich research lab
SL: dr scofield ---- drscofield at xyzzyxyzzy.net ---- http://xyzzyxyzzy.net/