[Opensim-dev] asset_database = "local" or "grid"?

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Tue Feb 3 13:34:33 UTC 2009

MW wrote:
> I think Stefan is talking more about the general discussion on keeping
> standalone mode vs just having Grid mode that we talked about about a
> month ago. And the most common agreement was to aim to refactor the
> interfaces and classes so they shared more between the standalone dlls
> and grid mode dlls. And then have config options to set what dlls would
> be used.

I certainly don't disagree with this general aim as it's common sense, but often one has to move one step at a time.

> As I said in the email I wrote a few minutes ago, I think the local vs
> grid wasn't ever really there for having local assest when running in
> grid mode but rather it was there to be able to use a asset server when
> running in standalone mode. And I think that use case is still valid. I
> think we should be able to have a standalone mode where it uses both
> external asset and inventory server.

In that case, would it be okay to move the asset_database paramter from [Startup] into [Standalone]?  This would mean
it's still possible to use an asset service that isn't the standalone one in standalone mode, but would remove the
confusion of using local assets in grid mode.