[Opensim-dev] asset_database = "local" or "grid"?

Chris Hart Chris at codetorque.co.uk
Sun Feb 1 17:36:53 UTC 2009

Setting asset_database to "local" will store your assets in a .db sqlite
database on your file system, and not in MySQL at all. If you run in
grid mode, you should always set this to "grid" to avoid confusion
unless you are connecting to someone else's grid and want your assets to
be stored locally and not on their asset server.

I have to say I made that same mistake when first starting out with
opensim and had to migrate all my assets over to my database server.
Several others have made the same mistake and I've had to help them to
migrate their assets too - is the local storage model really that widely
used? Should it actually be the default? For standalone I'm guessing it
is  ignored(?), but in grid mode I've found it just causes pain and
confusion.

Chris / Strawberry Fride