[Opensim-dev] [Opensim-users] hypergrid teleports and non-hypergrid simulators

Cristina Videira Lopes lopes at ics.uci.edu
Sun Feb 1 12:05:23 UTC 2009

Mic Bowman wrote:
> we have two simulators with one region each running with hypergrid
> turned on. we want "foreign" users to go through one of the gateways
> to get into our grid. i know that the users can freely teleport around
> our grid once they have hypergrid teleported to a gateway region. what
> are the *expected* capabilities for that kind of users once the leave
> the hypergrid enabled region and move around the rest of our grid?

[Sorry, moving this again to -dev, because I can't access my outgoing
server on the other account while I'm traveling]

Here's what happens. Foreign users carry around information about their
servers (user, inventory, home region, etc) that is stored on their
run-time profile cached in the regions. When they go from an HG region
to another HG region, that information is passed on via the message
expect_hg_user, which only HG regions understand. When they go from an
HG region to a non-HG region, the receiving region doesn't understand
that message, so it knows nothing about those servers for the foreign
user. If the TP is far enough away, the profile is removed from the
departing HG region (as normal for all TPs), so the user's servers info
is permanently lost for the rest of the session. Even if the user comes
back to the HG region, the information has been lost.

Without that information the foreign user cannot: access inventory
(except for the items that are cached in the viewer), go back home, etc...

So jumping from an HG region to a non-HG region on the same grid is ok,
in the sense that it doesn't crash anything, and that the user's agent
is is able to interact with the world, but that user becomes impaired in
many ways. The user is still able to chat, build & move things (if
allowed), TP around, etc. It's just the interaction with his/her home
servers that is impaired.