[Opensim-dev] libomv (client bot) problems with 0.6.8

Paul Fishwick fishwick at cise.ufl.edu
Tue Dec 8 16:56:17 UTC 2009

I would like to update the wiki documentation for client-side bots:

  http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Building_a_bot

because this isn't compiling for the 0.6.8 versions of opensim. Here
is a short history of the issue:

1. Using the release 0.6.7 source and this client-side bot approach, the
wiki bot
    code successfully compiles (using OpenMetaverse.dll and
OpenMetaverseTypes.dll
    from the bin directory as assembly refs). When executed when the
0.6.7 server is running, the bot
    follows you around correctly and is correctly animated (walks).

2. When checking out recent opensim head versions for the past few weeks
(0.6.8), but using
    the existing bot .exe compiled with OpenMetaverse.dll and
OpenMetaverseTypes.dll from
    0.6.7, the bot logs in but then doesn't walk (and instead "slides" as
    a result of the autopilot function of libomv). The bot does follow
the avatar but has no
    walking animation, and remains in a T-pose as it follows.

3. When trying to compile the bot code using OpenMetaverse.dll and
OpenMetaverseTypes.dll
    from the newer 0.6.8, there are several compile-time errors regarding:

    client.Network.OnConnected
    NetworkManager.ConnectedCallback
    ObjectUpdate (which no longer exists or requires another assembly
reference)

Does anyone have suggestions as to what has changed in the code between
0.6.7 (release) and
0.6.8 regarding the functions in the above wiki instructions for
building the bot ? As soon as I find
this out, and can get the bot follower to work again, I'll update the
wiki accordingly.

-paul

--
Paul Fishwick, PhD