[Opensim-dev] LookingGlass in Wright Plaza

Mister Blue misterblue at misterblue.com
Wed Aug 26 14:30:43 UTC 2009

Both good suggestions. The reason for the culling is to load and
unload the vertices and textures from memory because several sims of
meshes and textures does overrun memory. It was the simplest solution
(an Ogre camera has an 'isVisible' method) but I had considered other
solutions. For instance, handling cubes specially since they are
numerous and the face vertices can be shared. I also recently realized
that I am making  the vertices lists larger than they need to be since
PrimMesher returns triangles and I am not eliminating the duplicate
vertex instances when building the vertex/index structures. That could
reduce the size of the meshes by a factor of 4 or 6.

There are many other existing inefficiencies. For instance, the main
logic of the code is in C# while Ogre and its management routines are
in C++ and, at the moment, I do way to many transitions across that
P/Invoke interface. There are also better ways than P/Invoke.

You are correct about release vs debug compilations: it makes a major
difference.

I have no end of opportunities for performance improvements. My ToDo
list is long.

-- ra