[Opensim-dev] pruning reference servers in core

diva at metaverseink.com diva at metaverseink.com
Tue Aug 11 18:52:32 UTC 2009

Dear devs,

I'm finally changing the way the simulator caches inventory. This is all
good, and it's the beginning of the much awaited user services
refactoring. This requires a few small changes in the inventory services
interface, as well as additions to the implementation(s). So...

We now have 3 -- yes 3! -- different inventory servers in core. (and 3
asset servers too). I think it's time to make a decision on what to keep
and what to drop, because evolving this ecosystem of implementations in
core is unscalable.

With this, I'm proposing that we drop the old Grid.InventoryServer, the
old Grid.AssetServer and the AssetInventoryServer (CB1). Some people may
still be using the old servers, so it's time to switch everybody to
ROBUST. Asking in the IRC, it looks like no one is using
AssetInventoryServer.

Comments? Objections?
Thanks!

Crista