[Opensim-dev] Main Repository now in Git

Dr Scofield DrScofield at xyzzyxyzzy.net
Fri Aug 7 08:40:47 UTC 2009

Ursula MATOVA wrote:
> Hey Sean ... I know it's hard work ...
> My post was just "comments/feeling" about the migration from svn to
> git ...
> `
> On my side ( I'm not a core-dev, just trying to be an active
> reporter ) I need to be able to migrate my OpenSim server to the
> latest current release to test some new feature/improvments and to be
> able to quick reverse to the previous release in case of problems
> ( it's normal when working with dev branch ) ... And all is based on
> the "release number" ... ...
> We were in SVN. #10115 ... Then what about now ?
> It's not clear at all, don't know the current release number ... ...
> do you know it ?
> What changes ?
> .../...
> When checking the git repository, I'm not sure to checkout the latest
> dev release ... is it ? or is it the stable branch ?
> Sorry, maybe my english is not good enough to follow the git/wiki
> instructions ...

while i'm not sean, here's what we are doing for sametime 3d:

* we've got the "sametime3d" branch for what we consider stable
* we've got the "opensim" branch that tracks opensim's master branch

to test the latest & greatest & breaking ;-) i do:

    % git checkout opensim
    % [...testing...]

to go back to "stable" i do:

    % git checkout sametime3d

to update the opensim branch:

    % git checkout opensim
    % git pull

whenever we are satisfied that a certain opensim level is stable, we merge the
opensim to the sametime3d branch:

    % git checkout sametime3d
    % git merge opensim

for this all to work, i had to create the sametime3d branch:

    % git checkout -b sametime3d opensim

also, i'm using the following .git/config sections:

[remote "ibm"]
        url = ssh://dirk@opensim.zurich.ibm.com/git/opensim
        fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/origin/*
[branch "sametime3d"]
        remote = origin
        merge = refs/heads/sametime3d
[remote "origin"]
        url = ssh://drscofield@opensimulator.org/var/git/opensim
        fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/opensimulator.org/*
[branch "opensim"]
        remote = origin
        merge = refs/heads/master

those sections define: two remotes, "ibm" and "origin", which are the hosts for
the two repositories i pull from; two branches, "sametime3d" and "opensim",
along with the remotes i'm pulling from/pushing to.

hope, this helps a bit.

	cheers,
	dirk

--