[Opensim-dev] ScenePresence.FlyDisabled property

Teravus Ovares teravus at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 14:01:27 UTC 2009

Hey there

I was exploring ScenePresence looking for a way to add a feature to
enforce 'no fly' serverside and I noticed that there's a property
'FlyDisabled' that isn't obviously used.   Now, I know that just
because OpenSimulator doesn't explicitly use a public property doesn't
mean that it isn't used at all.  It could be used by a module.

So, I'd like to have a server side option that enforces no-fly server
side (which means that clients cannot directly fly..   they can 'look'
like they're flying with the client button, but it won't have an
effect on the server).    I'm thinking the best way to proceed would
be to have a method called by the 'Significant Movement' method to
check the parcel and region settings and set a simple boolean property
to check in the HandleMovement code.    FlyDisabled seems appropriate,
however, if it's used by client applications in some way that's
different then using FlyDisabled may interfere with that application
of the property..  so it would be better to create another one called
FlyUnavailable or something like that.

If I don't hear from anyone, just to be safe, I'll create another
property....     but if someone that is using that property lets me
know that it's appropriate for what I'm thinking, I'd prefer to reuse
it to keep the code from complexity bloat.

Let me know :)

Teravus