[Opensim-dev] OAuth as authentication and authorisation (capability) specification

Tommi Laukkanen tommi.s.e.laukkanen at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 11:03:18 UTC 2009

I think what Christian proposes is a win win for opensim and existing
social networks. We can easily expand to their entire user base while
the social networks can offer OpenSim as extension to their services.
Making that one extra account can be a deal breaker for many normal
users. One click and SSO from their favorite network is preferable :).

We should note that use profile is not same thing as user identity.
While user identity (id, name, nickname...) can become from for
example existing social network site opensim profile can still be
stored in opensim service. Federated identity is about collecting all
these different bits and pieces from social networks, other sites and
opensim to one unified profile. In practice all applications will have
some legacy profile pieces while some parts of the data will hopefully
be exposed through standard profile services.

-tommi