[Opensim-dev] moving away from grid vs. standalone

diva at metaverseink.com diva at metaverseink.com
Thu Apr 30 04:34:02 UTC 2009

OK, let me backtrack. There are really two separate issues going on.

a) One issue is the means by which we specify different service
connectors. The dlls + entry class is the right way. Unfortunately, that
isn't in place yet, and I'm not sure I'm the right person to do it :-/

b) Another issue is whether Local/OGS1/Hypergrid are really alternatives
in the true sense of the word, just like MySql is an alternative to
SqlLite, or ODE is and alternative to Bullet. I don't think they are; I
think they are generalizations, in that precise order:
OGS1=Local+more (you can see this in the dependencies)
Hypergrid=OGS1+more (again, see the dependencies)
Being generalizations, one can simplify things by having the most
general model, and configuring it to obtain the more specific behaviors.
(This is independent of how we split the model physically)

So, I guess I'm torn here. On the one hand, I can see how things would
improve dramatically if we had a plugin thing really going, whatever
plugin thing that would be.

On the other hand, the plugin thing doesn't exist, and I don't see it on
the horizon anytime soon. We're stuck with having to define behavior by
configuration variables, instead of dlls. Hence my original proposal,
which did *not* include specifying dlls.

[I'm having the same feeling I had just before I did RESTComms... so
this may very well end up going Melanie's suggestion of region modules
again... or I'll just give up trying to fix this in general, and focus
on the much narrower things that matter to me which are the security
configurations for the hypergrid -- the hell with OGS1]