[Opensim-dev] moving away from grid vs. standalone

Stefan Andersson stefan at tribalmedia.se
Wed Apr 29 05:43:55 UTC 2009

In my world, the grid=true and all that were simply shorthands. It's always been our (my) intention that we would get to a point where you'd 'assemble' your installation, preferrably thru a gui.

> Below is a draft of
> what OpenSim.ini could look like. Thoughts?

> [RegionResourceServices]
>
> grid_server_url = "http://192.168.1.101:9000"
> grid_send_key = "null"
> grid_recv_key = "null"
> ; are we to optimize for a standalone grid?
> LocalGridService = {True|False}

How about

---

[RegionResourceServices]

;GridService = OpenSim.Region.Communications.Hypergrid.dll, HGGridServices

;GridService = OpenSim.Region.Communications.Local.dll, LocalBackEndServices

GridService = OpenSim.Region.Communications.OGS1.dll, OGS1GridServices

[GridService]

grid_server_url = "http://192.168.1.101:9000"
grid_send_key = "null"
grid_recv_key = "null"

[Security]

SessionAuthentication = {True|False}
KeyAuthentication = {True|False}

---

The constructor is being fed a config source, so the service can pick out whatever it needs.

All the shipped grid services could move into one assembly, as we're explicitly specifying the implementing calss.

I believe this approach would get us improved flexibility.

/Stefan