[Opensim-dev] OAuth as authentication and authorisation (capability) specification

Diva Canto diva at metaverseink.com
Sat Apr 25 21:51:54 UTC 2009

Christian Scholz wrote:
> What exactly is the ID server? And if you have some sort of server then
> I guess it would be easy to write some web frontend to create some XRDS
> or XRD file, after all it's rather simple XML. (Some OpenID or XRI
> providers even let you edit your XRDS file already).

In OpenSim, the ID server is the User Server. In general, the ID server
is any server out there that gives you an identity and that serves this
identity to other services. The most important interfaces of an identity
service are
Login(in ..bunch of stuff.., out ...bunch including masterKey)
string GetKey(userID, masterKey)
bool   VerifyKey(userID, key)

> Well, that means though that I am bound to that service and probably
> need yet another login/password to remember.

You are bound to that service in as much as you are bound to that
identity. You only need to remember the N passwords of your N identities.