[Opensim-dev] The essence of "grid"

Christian Scholz cs at comlounge.net
Sun Apr 19 22:04:00 UTC 2009

Hi!

Diva Canto schrieb:
> OK, I think I'm coming close to having the sharp definitions that I
> think are necessary. They're slight variations of Melanie's, because
> Melanie's are still coercing OSGrid-like grids to become something that
> they aren't.
>
> - "Simulator trust domain": a set of simulators that trust each other,
> operated by one single authority
>
> - "Grid": a set of simulators that share resources. Resources include:
> assets, user accounts, and assorted services like lookup services,
> forums, etc. [And this is the thing] A Grid includes one *or more*
> simulator trust domains.

I hope that at some point in the future we can also unbundle user
accounts and assets from that as I think those really belong to the user
and can be anywhere on the net. A user would then merely delegate
authorization to access those services to a grid.
I really would like to have things as decoupled as possible which of
course is right now a bit problematic when things are based on the
Linden viewer.
But you could always group them back into one thing again later.

> For the purposes of security, it's clear that the client can't talk
> directly to a central grid-wide server, but it has to do it with the
> specific simulators, which then can redirect to their authorities.

Hm, why is that? The client could get some token and use that (e.g. via
the OAuth signature mechanism) to access those services (inside or
outside the grid).

-- Christian

--
COM.lounge GmbH