[Opensim-dev] Development models (was Re: The essence of "grid")

Daniel Smith javajoint at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 17:39:56 UTC 2009

Greetings from an OpenSim user and web/lsl developer,

My interest is for OpenSim to be seen in the virtual world space as
Apache is to the web.  As a longtime observer of Linux and Apache
(started working with web in 1993), I would say:  "above all, get
critical mass going for OpenSim".  Be careful not to let some other
platform come along and steal the momentum we have now :)

And here is a use case / thought experiment for you all:

There will be organizations that will want to approach OpenSim as a
collection of 1 region grids.  To them, they will want to treat every
Sim as its own little walled web server.  In other words, what happens
when *every* teleport from one region to another within an
organization uses HyperGrid?  (organizations will want some
granularity in *what* comes along for the ride -- i.e. perhaps certain
"public" aspects of a users inventory, but not all of it, etc.)

(and it doesn't mean I agree with that use case, but I can certainly
see IT environments where there is a lot of emphasis on access control
lists and what can be revealed on which server, etc)

Daniel / Bucky Barkley (SL and RG)

--
Daniel Smith - Sonoma County, California
http://daniel.org/resume