[Opensim-dev] Development models (was Re: The essence of "grid")

Mike Dickson mike.dickson at hp.com
Fri Apr 17 16:44:37 UTC 2009

And you're being argumentative just to do it.

Look, OpenSim at least initially was all about the LL grid.  Without a
client to access the simulator all the shiny server bits aren't terribly
useful.  And there have been a number of starts at other clients. For
the most part however people who connect to OpenSim do it with a LL or
derived viewer.

If the LL protocol stuff ends up in a forge module (because the
framework can handle that level of separation) I'd be perfectly ok with
that.  People will use OpenSim for a variety of projects from running
production traffic (today very likely based on a LL or derived viewer)
to futuristic exploration (like Hypergrid). That's a pretty wide set of
use cases to support. I care more about the process than a specific
product (other than that I can make my product using the framework and
have some semblance of success at it).

My argument FWIW wasn't about a specific protocol. It's about how it
evolves successfully to support the widely varied use cases OpenSim is
being applied to. Hence the change in subject line.

Mike

Mike Dickson <mike.dickson at hp.com>
BladeSystem infrastructure R&D