[Opensim-dev] The essence of "grid"

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 17 15:35:14 UTC 2009

Mike Dickson wrote:
> Yes, just voicing my opinion.  And my concern is that you will prevent
> me from running a walled garden in trying to get your "inventory on the
> client" hypergrid model working.
>
> As has been pointed out, the sources are BSD licensed, I could always
> fork what's there and do my own thing.  It seemed more productive
> however to voice my opinion and at least try and represent an alternate
> point of view. Personally I think the rush to hypergrid is glossing over
> lots of issues and the trust models being discussed and over simplified
> at best. Again, thats my opinion and at this point I don't expect it
> will get listened to.

Mike, nobody is going to prevent people from running walled gardens, as it's a valid use case in many scenarios.  If we
did somehow come to a point where we had to make a choice, then this would have to be subject to a proper proposal which
makes it clear what functionality is being removed.  But I should think that Hypergrid development can go forward
without that happening.

But I do have to also point out that OpenSim development is largely driven by the interest of the developers (since
there's no single company behind it).  If there's a lot of development interest behind Hypergrid then this is the
direction that's inevitably going to progress most.  If people coming along contributing code that enhances different
architectures, then development will also be driven in that direction.

> Mike
>
> On Fri, 2009-04-17 at 15:12 +0000, Melanie wrote:
>> No one is preventing you from running a walled garden/SL clone. The
>> hypergrid won't touch you in that case. Hypergrid most certainly
>> belongs into core and will stay there.
>>
>> Melanie
>>
>> Mike Dickson wrote:
>>> That's been my thought all along. What if the content in the users
>>> "inventory" is my IP.  I've granted a license for a customer/user to use
>>> it (perhaps even limited to where the content is used).
>>>
>>> I appreciate the energy around the hypergrid concept. But there are lots
>>> of scenarios where the hypergrid is entirely irrelevant. I still believe
>>> implementation of it belongs in the forge and not in the core. But I
>>> completely agree with Michael that the energy around Hypergrid
>>> shoduldn't de-empahsive the platform aspects of OpenSim in such a way
>>> that a non-Hypergrid case becomes unimplementable (or even harder).
>>>
>>> Mike

justincc
Justin Clark-Casey
http://justincc.wordpress.com