[Opensim-dev] note: "broken" lenny stable apt-get install mono-devel

Dzonatas dzonatas at dzonux.net
Thu Apr 16 16:52:02 UTC 2009

Hello,

We know that mono is currently at version 2.4 and there are many waited
features of 2.0+ mono to hit stable branches, yet lenny got stuck at
1.9dfsg. If opensim starts to depend on 2.0+ features (hint: AOT, SIMD,
partial references, .NET 3.5, etc), then opensim would be held back in
unstable along with mono.

Here is one reason why for the hold-up:
http://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DebianMonoGroup/CSCNameClash

Some bugzilla's for this event:

I know, given that last one you might think it is an April Fools joke,
but however if you are on lenny stable and you don't allow unstable
upgrades, you can test it yourself to see it is clearly broke:

$ sudo apt-get install mono-devel

Both apt-get and aptitude reports the package is broke, and it gives the
only option to upgrade to unstable. That upgrade option for those that
prefer lenny stable is not an option.

Despite what happened on this list earlier, you can understand why
people can't and won't upgrade to unstable to run opensim in a
production environment:
http://www.mail-archive.com/opensim-users@lists.berlios.de/msg00818.html

The best thing to do is get the word out about this, so people know why
their .NET programs that run on fine under Microsoft Windows (with .NET
3.5 etc) won't run under stable lenny.

This may be a case of "playing chicken on the lenny roadmap," (two
binaries fighting for one spot), and I think once you research this
you'll also wonder if this is something devious rather than just a
coincidence. I preach "I don't know" about the cause, but the facts are
above, and it's no joke.

Dzonatas