[Opensim-dev] The essence of "grid"

Melanie melanie at t-data.com
Wed Apr 15 10:09:27 UTC 2009

Sharing asset and inventory servers is not a bad thing. Being forced
to do it is.

It's not about finding content, it's about protecting it.

With what I know about these protocols, continuing along a path of
creating a grid based on Linden legacy protocols without assuming
trust will lead to grief in the end. This is not philosophical, it's
technical. The protocols weren't designed for it.

It is easier to recreate osgrid as a HG linked set of regions
(outwardly identical to what it is today), yet fully secure, and
leave the use of the Linden protocols to scenarios that occur within
a trust domain.

OSGrid doesn't have to lose it's identity, it would still have a
common map, adjacent regions and could offer user inventory and
asset services.
Inventory would remain portable as well, and search can still index
all regions in the grid.
This is not about changing OSGrid into something else, it is merely
about using a different, better suited, protocol to implement OSGrid.

Melanie