[Opensim-dev] Supplying IScene instead of Scene for the future region modules mechanism

Justin Clark-Casey jjustincc at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 14 19:33:00 UTC 2009

Stefan Andersson wrote:
> Justin, Homer;
>
> consider two things you might:
>
> 1) take the opportunity to take a moment to re-ponder each "missing"
> IScene power - should the caller perhaps move instead? Or should the
> called method move to a place where the caller has access without going
> thru IScene? Maybe the Scene is too big, not IScene too small?

Yes.  Scene is too big (even forgetting about Scene.Inventory.cs for the moment).  There's still a lot of functionality
that can be broken into modules, I think, but it's getting quite difficult now (e.g. aspects of land which remain in
scene, and the whole of inventory management).

> 2) maybe the notion of a IScene vs a ISceneBase is really an indication
> that you should have a 'ISceneForRegionModules' instead - an facade
> enumerating the powers the core wish to expose to the scene, to force
> the region module coder to code in a hygienic way. Laying the
> foundations for a ISceneAPI, if you will?

Yeah, ISceneBase ain't a great name.  But I'm not too keen on ISceneForRegionModules either :).  ISceneAPI perhaps...

Of course, this also doesn't take into account the big lump of stuff hanging around in SceneGraph either...